Work Overseas (Authors Abroad) – What we do
Since starting work with overseas schools more than five years ago, this side of our work has grown out of all recognition – we are now the leading provider of author visits to International Schools from the UK. At the moment Authors Abroad works with over 700 International Schools from Vietnam to Brazil and China to Russia. We have built up a loyal network of schools who rely on Authors Abroad to supply top quality author visits.
• Authors Abroad work closely with individual schools to make sure that all expectations and specific needs are met – this can be quite challenging in International Schools due to the variety of nationalities catered for and the level of English of the children we work with
• We try to provide authors/poets etc who can work across different key stages from primary to secondary
• We often provide in service training sessions as part of the visit or after school presentations to the parental body – a valuable part of any author visit!
• Authors Abroad often take care of travel arrangements (visas if required) and accommodation depending on the nature and length of the visit. This can be very time consuming for librarians and heads of department
• Authors Abroad arranges the shipping of books from the UK prior to the arrival of the visiting author – this aspect of our service is much valued by our school hosts. We work with the UK’s top shipping agency of books worldwide as well as many companies based in the host countries
• Information about the authors is sent out to each school and sample letters for parents about the visit and the book signing opportunity are also included
• Fees are kept to a very ‘sensible’ level and are regarded as the most competitive available – that’s why we are rebooked year on year. Individual packages can be discussed so that prices include all travel, accommodation and the shipping of books (this is what we normally do)
• We are happy to provide recommendations from any school we have visited and encourage new schools to do this
• All schools are invoiced ahead of the visit and clear banking details are provided regarding overseas money transfers
• We often ring schools direct and discuss the finer points of every visit to make sure all will run smoothly – there is always someone to talk to at Authors Abroad for any reassurance required
• Authors Abroad also works extensively with British Council and with major overseas organisations (ECIS, African International Schools Association, COBIS etc) in providing key note speakers at conferences or festivals